From: Bill Eddleman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question about Eurasian Collared Doves
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 12:24 PM

Eurasian Collared-Doves are native to the southeastern Europe region, although they have since spread throughout Europe. They apparently were released in the Bahamas in the early 1970s. One story is that an importer brought several dozen from Europe for use as cage birds, and someone broke into the aviary where they were kept and left it open, allowing the birds to escape. They rapidly increased and dispersed to Florida (or were blown there). Today there are many tens of thousands in Florida. They has since spread throughout much of the lower 48 states.

As I recall, the first ones detected in Missouri were in Delta, Cape Girardeau Co., around 1996. They shortly began to appear near grain elevators and in smaller towns through Southeast Missouri, then appeared elsewhere in the state (again, mostly near grain sources). I've heard of hundreds reported at St. Joseph, Missouri, near stockyards. If Breeding Bird Survey and Christmas Bird County data are indicators, they are still on the increase in Missouri. I don't see them often away from humans, but when I conducted the Cape Girardeau BBS route last Sunday, I had 5 at 5 different stops--the highest ever for this count.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau