I'm not sure why Osprey would be listed as rare.  Even Robbins & Easterla (copyright 1992) have: Status: Uncommon transient; casual summer visitant, former summer resident; casual winter resident.  On p. 92 is: "Since the early 1960s, there have been nearly fifteen summer observation, but none with evidence of breeding."

All of this was written before the successful hacking program, subsequent to which the first Osprey nest in a century was successful at or near Montrose CA.  This nest was the result of a male hacked Osprey returning to the area with a mate--the typical behavior for Osprey.

In the CACHE/SPARKS records, 483 reports of Osprey have been filed from 131 sites, many of them summer records.  The nest at Jacksonville that Kathleen has observed and reported on has been active (off and on?) for several years.  This site is 7 miles east of Thomas Hill Reservoir--a long commute to feed the kid!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO