This morning about 7 am, I was at the breakfast room table when a beautiful
Louisiana Waterthrush popped up on the deck, bobbed along and flew down to
the bubbler for a drink and splash. I've seen these birds here but had not seen
one this spring. Obviously, the extremely dry conditions brought this bird to our
water. I thought it might have gone over to the pond so I went over to check
through the bay window. To my stunned amazement, there were 4 American
Mink all over the pond, swimming in and out! An adult and 3 kits. I am quite
sure they all had goldfish for breakfast. The 6 fish in the bubbler pond are gone
for sure. Our property is an island, they'd have to cross streets to get here. I
was not able to get photos but we both saw them! As I told several people
yesterday on the Sustainable Backyard Tour, we would rather see this than
worry about koi!

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO