My wife and I have been occasionally monitoring 5 Western Kingbird nests
near where we live this year.  All five are doing well as of today -
6/18/12.  All five have chosen utility poles of some sort for their
nests.  All five have chosen to adapt to some of the most polluted areas
in the city along the Mississippi River, as well as areas most heavily
trafficked by trucks, trains and other transport/hauling methods, even
barges off the river.  Four could be viewed well enough to see three
young in each nest.  One pair had to relocate, but they did so quickly.
They seem on a later schedule with no viewable young.  The nests span
from 2nd and Sydney, the pair at Grand and Hall near MSD, the pair near
Adelaide and Hall near Pittsburg Pipe, another pair at Thatcher and Hall
near a St. Louis Corrections Medium Security Facility, and the pair just
north of Hall and Riverview near a mysterious salvage place where it
seems mostly old tires are dumped, but some other scarier stuff as well.

We are sure there are many more nests.  What is fascinating are the
incredibly numerous Mockingbird, Eastern Kingbird and Oriole nests - as
well as Eurasian-collared Doves - and all the invasive plant species
taking over the river's edge and any scrap of space around these
industries.  You have to be adventurous to bird these areas.  It can be
unnerving to encounter mounds of coal blown by strong winds that cover
you with coal dust, ADM grain bins, salvage yards and their odors, junk
yards of all kinds (there really is a place that port-a-potties go to
die), trucking companies, MSD, steel yards, Proctor and Gamble
Manufacturing and numerous other mysterious industrial, er, warehouses
emanating who knows what.  Basically a wasteland, literally.

In other words, these Western Kingbirds are amongst a group of some of
the toughest birds.  I once read an article called "Planet of the Weeds:
Tallying the Loss of Earth's Animals and Plants" by David Quammen, where
the author hypothesized that after all the invasive species have their
way with the planet, along with the currently occurring mass extinction
and extensive human population growth and development, we'd end up with
very few species left, one possibly being humans (due to our
adaptability- hmmm - making us a weed?).  See article link:

http://www.davidquammen.com/sampler/1-sampler-articles/11-planet-of-weeds
<http://www.davidquammen.com/sampler/1-sampler-articles/11-planet-of-weeds>

I think the Western Kingbird might be one of those left.

Andy Reago
St. Louis MO