A problem solving technique used in automotive circles (and other industries) to find root casues is the 5-Why approach which sometimes can expose the root cause.

The problem: The Chuck-wills-widow is keeping this person awake at night.
Why is the Chuck in that location?   A. The area of person's residence is prefered habitat of Chuck-wills.
Why is the Chuck's keeping this woman awake at night?   A. Because of its calling throughout the night.
Why is it calling?   A. Because that's what it does to attract a mate.
Why does it call to attract a mate?   A. Because it doesn't have a mate.

The root cause of her being kept up at night may be argued that the calling Chuck-wills needs a mate.

Maybe the question we need be asking ourselves is not, "How to get rid of this calling bird?"; but possibly, "How can we attract a mate for this lonely calling bird?"

Just a thought from the other end of the spectrum.

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.