I went back to Bittern Basin today in the hopes of seeing the Common Gallinule or King Rail; no luck with either.  I did refind the Glossy Ibis, however.  It flew from a grassy area past the 12 sign (to the left of the 12 sign as you face the mud/water areas with your back to Route P) over to close to the 11 sign.  It sat and preened for a few minutes and then started feeding and disappeared into the grass.  After about 10 minutes it showed up for a bit along the edge and then disappeared in the grass again.   The shortest route would be to begin at the entrance with the pump (it is marked no parking, but you might be able to park on the grassy shoulder of Route P) and walk straight back.  After a bit, the path curves left and that is the area of the 11 sign.  The 12 sign area, where it was originally seen on Saturday is further down the same path.  Otherwise there will still plenty of Black-necked Stilts, American Coots, and Pied-billed Grebes.  I saw one family group of grebes with several young.  Unfortunately, none of the interesting birds are close to the road.  A brief visit to Clarence Cannon did not produce many birds.  The area is mostly dry with only a few pools.   I did have two Misssisippi Kites soaring over the area.

David Becher
Saint Louis