On Saturday, during the monthly beginning birder walk I mentioned to Jim Wilson how I hadn't seen a Little Blue Heron in Forest Park since the summer of 2010 and that was after not seeing one during 2009.  Yesterday, after seeing many Green Herons in and around Steinberg Ice Rink and the surrounding prairie and river system, I spied a Little Blue Heron in the same area.  It was a gorgeous specimen and I was thrilled to see it.  Hopefully, more sightings will occur as they had pre-2009.

Here's a link: https://picasaweb.google.com/mglenshaw/GreatHornedOwlsAndForestParkJune32012?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_oh7j25NzYXQ  to some photos of this bird and other highlights from yesterday's three hour walk including the Red-tailed Hawk's nest in The Highlands Golf Course and a few shots of the Great Horned Owl(et), Velvet, who perched just a few feet off of the ground.  Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Mark
--
Mark H.X. Glenshaw