Report for Sat Jun 2

I hiked Valley View Glades Natural Area Saturday evening from 5:15 to 9:05 p.m.  The first COMMON NIGHTHAWK rose up about a half hour before sunset, audible even at a great distance, and the only bird in the sky of white, blue and purple.  As I watched the light fade, one each of WHIP-POOR-WILL and CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW began singing exactly at the time of sunset, 8:21 p.m., then, after two minutes, promptly went quiet.  But by a few minutes before 9 they were going strong.

Along the trail I ticked 33 species total, including 2 PRAIRIE WARBLER, 1 LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, 1 KENTUCKY WARBLER, 4 OVENBIRD, 2 ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, 7 SUMMER TANAGER and 1 RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

FIELD SPARROWs were singing up to 23 minutes after sunset, then abruptly stopped.  1 small BAT flew by.  Fireflies came out as well, down the glade below me, across the creek and up the other side, flashing their yellow light.

Some landscape photos here:

http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-3/Misc-12/23324365_dPCFc6#!i=1882476893&k=bv3SwQJ

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO