Report for Sat Jun 2

I hiked Valley View Glades Natural Area Saturday evening from 5:15 to
9:05 p.m.  The first COMMON NIGHTHAWK rose up about a half hour before
sunset, audible even at a great distance, and the only bird in the sky
of white, blue and purple.  As I watched the light fade, one each of
WHIP-POOR-WILL and CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW began singing exactly at the time
of sunset, 8:21 p.m., then, after two minutes, promptly went quiet.  But
by a few minutes before 9 they were going strong.

Along the trail I ticked 33 species total, including 2 PRAIRIE WARBLER,
1 LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, 1 KENTUCKY WARBLER, 4 OVENBIRD, 2 ACADIAN
FLYCATCHER, 7 SUMMER TANAGER and 1 RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

FIELD SPARROWs were singing up to 23 minutes after sunset, then abruptly
stopped.  1 small BAT flew by.  Fireflies came out as well, down the
glade below me, across the creek and up the other side, flashing their
yellow light.

Some landscape photos here:

http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-3/Misc-12/23324365_dPCFc6#!i=1882476893&k=bv3SwQJ

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: Sptember 21-23 at Camp Clover Point, Osage Beach MO