On Saturday, during the monthly beginning birder walk I mentioned to Jim
Wilson how I hadn't seen a Little Blue Heron in Forest Park since the
summer of 2010 and that was after not seeing one during 2009.  Yesterday,
after seeing many Green Herons in and around Steinberg Ice Rink and the
surrounding prairie and river system, I spied a Little Blue Heron in the
same area.  It was a gorgeous specimen and I was thrilled to see it.
Hopefully, more sightings will occur as they had pre-2009.

Here's a link:https://picasaweb.google.com/mglenshaw/GreatHornedOwlsAndForestParkJune32012?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_oh7j25NzYXQ
to some photos of this bird and other highlights from yesterday's three
hour walk including the Red-tailed Hawk's nest in The Highlands Golf Course
and a few shots of the Great Horned Owl(et), Velvet, who perched just a few
feet off of the ground.  Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Mark
--