Eliot versus Capitalism

An occasion for me to draw the list's attention to a poem in POEMS 1920:

Le Directeur
http://www.bartleby.com/199/17.html

Translated into English, it reads:

The Director
Woe to the hapless Thames
That flows hard by the Spectator.
The conservative
Director
Of the Spectator
Fouls the air.
The reactionary
Shareholders
Of the conservative
Spectator
Arm-in-arm
Go round and round
Tip-toe.
In a gutter
A little girl
In tatters
Pug-nosed
Looks at
The director
Of the conservative
Spectator
Starved of love.

This poem, however, is not the sole instance of Eliot's humanitarian concern for the poor and the oppressed. It reverberates in the Preludes and Rhapsody on a Windy Night, and is reaffirmed in his poetic drama, Murder in the Cathedral:

CHORUS :         We have not been happy, my Lord, we have not been
        too happy.
         We are not ignorant women, we know what we must
                                expect and not expect.
We know of oppression and torture,
We know of extortion and violence,
Destitution, disease,
The old without fire in winter,
The child without milk in summer,
Our labour taken away from us,
Our sins made heavier upon us.

Significantly, in The Idea of a Christian Society, Eliot offered the ideal model of a Christian order: a society actively engaged in the spiritual and ethical advancement of its citizens. And, in a broadcast talk in 1941, Towards a Christian Britain, Eliot stressed the need for Christian prophets who would alter the social consciousness of the people.

Thanks,
 CR