 From: David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: The Waste Land's Absolutist Poetics

Interestingly enough, I have ben researching the life and work of another (minor) Faber Poet, and similar observations chime very much in tune with the life and work of the latter. Namely, that a poet will inevitably eventually run out of inspiration, unless  tuned-in to the collective European tradition - that the individual poet's talent, however acomplished, simply can't ever compete with that collective tradition. And that, unless they tune into this tradition, they'll inevitably flounder, as poets.

The same thing exactly happened to 'my' subject - he decided he'd 'exhausted his seam' and stopped writing any poetry in early middle age. It was reading Lowell's 'Life Studies' that reinvigorated his reasons to write poetry, and led to a second wind thereof.