a possible story, if you like

These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo’s mad againe.

To me, these two lines compress the story of the TWL's composition,
its editing by Ezra Pound (il miglior fabbro) and the state of the poet's
nervous disarray.

1. The poet submits to Ezra Pound "These fragments I have shored
against my ruins".

2. Ezra Pound (as an aspect of Hieronymo) : "Why then Ile fit you."

3. The poet (as another aspect of Hieronymo) relapses into a state of
disarray of nerves: "Hieronymo’s mad againe."

4. In a state of chaotic, nervous breakdown, the poet holds on fast
to the values (his personal and social panacea) derived from tradition:
Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata -- Give, Sympathise, Control.

5. The last words on the poet's lips are an incantation of peace.

In sum, the metaphoric/metamorphosed Hieronymo finds a dual use here.
Both Ezra Pound (il miglior fabbro) and TS Eliot (the poet), however, are
subsumed by the voices that speak their respective roles.

Thanks,
CR