 I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

London Bridge is falling down falling down falling down

Poi s’ascose nel foco che gli affina
Quando fiam ceu chelidon—O swallow swallow
Le Prince d’Aquitaine à la tour abolie
These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo’s mad againe.
Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.

      Shantih    shantih    shantih

---

"Hieronymo’s mad againe."

This is not altogether Hieronymo, my Lord!

In the context of 'The Waste Land', he sounds like some Messiah come to fit into a coherent and meaningful pattern "These fragments I have shored against my ruins".

Significantly, in his Introduction to 'Ezra Pound: Selected Poems' (1928), Eliot cautions the readers "not to confuse the material (borrowed from other authors) and the use which the author makes of it'. In his own poetry, Eliot makes a creative use of borrowed material to serve his own context.

In 'The Waste Land', this metaphoric/metamorphosed Hieronymo's assurance, "Why then Ile fit you" is followed by a clarion call, as it were, to uphold Datta, Dayadhvam, Damyata -- Give, Sympathise, Control.

It is followed by the closing incantation invoked to usher in a lasting peace.

CR