Peter,

Sorry for the misconstrual.  I was being flippant, too.  Your question reminded me of the plaintive line in Mass, "but does God believe in me.......?," which ends hanging on an unresolved note.  I've always found that line particularly poignant.  I meant no implication of plagiarism, just an acknowledgement of what I think is a worthwhile and thought-provoking way of rephrasing the topic.

And the reference to "Father" was simply to be transparent.  I can't remember whether the list knows I'm a RC priest, and I wanted that identity to be clear so that my wisecrack would be taken in the proper context.  I realize now that my phrasing could come across as belligerent, and I apologize for that; it was not intended to be so.

Jerry

From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: Why did T.S. Eliot believe in God?

Dear Father Walsh,
    Usually when someone tells me I've been listening, or reading or whatever too much,
I get the impression they are usually talking about themselves. In fact I did listen
to Bernsten's piece about 20odd years ago. I don't really remember. I reasure you that I did
come up with the thought all by my little own lonesome. I am capable of doing that from
time to time. In this case, my original response to the question about Eliot/God was
not answered so I thought I would try it the other way around. Obviously the same toying
around continued to apply, so why take the discussion seriously at all? Given the mistakes
in the subsequent probing I can't why one should bother.
     I have a deep reverence for and resonance with scripture, so I tend to have high regard
for scripture scholarship. It is a crucial matter, and an important resource for Eliot studies.
 I must confess to surprise at your approach this time around. I guess my own flippant
conrtribution would be to say, poor old Bernstein. He was a victim of the NY school of nonsense.

Peter Montgomery (That's Dr. Montgomery to you.)