Peter,

Sorry for the misconstrual.  I was being flippant, too.  Your question reminded me of the plaintive line in Mass, "but does God believe in me.......?," which ends hanging on an unresolved note.  I've always found that line particularly poignant.  I meant no implication of plagiarism, just an acknowledgement of what I think is a worthwhile and thought-provoking way of rephrasing the topic.

And the reference to "Father" was simply to be transparent.  I can't remember whether the list knows I'm a RC priest, and I wanted that identity to be clear so that my wisecrack would be taken in the proper context.  I realize now that my phrasing could come across as belligerent, and I apologize for that; it was not intended to be so.

Jerry

>________________________________

I've been listening, or reading or whatever too much,
>I get the impression they are usually talking about
themselves. In fact I did listen
>to Bernsten's piece about 20odd years ago. I don't
really remember. I reasure you that I did
>come up with the thought all by my little own
lonesome. I am capable of doing that from
>time to time. In this case, my original response to
the question about Eliot/God was
>not answered so I thought I would try it the other
way around. Obviously the same toying
>around continued to apply, so why take the
discussion seriously at all? Given the mistakes
>in the subsequent probing I can't why one
should bother.
>     I have a deep reverence
for and resonance with scripture, so I tend to have high regard
>for scripture scholarship. It is a crucial matter, and an important resource for Eliot
studies.
> I must confess to surprise at your approach this time around. I guess my own
flippant
>conrtribution would be to say, poor old Bernstein. He was a victim of the NY school of
nonsense.

>Peter Montgomery (That's Dr. Montgomery to
you.)