Dear David,

Well, I do have a big axe to grind: Enron, Goldman Sachs, Bernie Madoff,
insider trading, bailouts, insane pay for CEOs, mortgage crisis,
outsourcing jobs, foreclosures. . . . it's endless. And these are the
people one is supposed to believe know how to run organizations.

I have over forty years experience within four universities, and I can
tell you no one--no one--gets these unbelievable perks or has access to
any even remotely comparable corruption. No one ever went into academia
for the purpose of becoming rich. And no one is unaccountable: if I
publish a book, it is peer reviewed by at least three experts (usually
more) before a contract and more before publication and can be reviewed
in international public space afterwards for the world to read. Students
and my colleagues rate my teaching, and anyone whose teaching is not
good is expected to work to change it. And in universities hiring,
tenure, and promotions as well as pay and sabbaticals depend on all
those internal and external reviews that go on as a constant process. In
business, I note, CEOs who utterly fail and destroy lives get millions
and billions to leave--or stay.

So my axe is the totally false and increasingly destructive attempt to
apply "business" methods to universities in ways that are capable of
destroying them.

And what you said was not neutral: it was a familiar and false critique
based on assumptions that are not relevant to universities or in any way
aimed at providing genuine education. As you say, it is an opinion
without evidence.

I'm sorry that I cannot pretend to treat these kinds of statements as
either neutral or acceptable. I think they are a constantly mounting
chorus of profoundly false ideas that can lead to the destruction of
institutions that actually do know what they are doing most of the time.

Business "efficiency":
The rich get richer, then buy elections
2010-10-24, San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco's leading newspaper)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/24/IN7R1FV3LE.DTL
It's a perfect storm. I'm talking about the dangers facing our
democracy. First, income in America is now more concentrated in fewer
hands than it has been in 80 years. Almost a quarter of total income
generated in the United States is going to the top 1 percent of
Americans. The top one-tenth of 1 percent of Americans now earn as much
as the bottom 120 million of us. Who are these people? They're top
executives of big corporations and Wall Street, hedge-fund managers and
private equity managers. Hundreds of millions of dollars are pouring
into advertisements for and against candidates - without a trace of
where the dollars are coming from. They're laundered through a handful
of groups. Most Americans are in trouble. Their jobs, incomes, savings
and even homes are on the line. They need a government that's working
for them, not for the privileged and the powerful. Yet their state and
local taxes are rising. And their services are being cut. There's no
jobs bill to speak of. Washington says nothing can be done. There's no
money left. No money? The marginal income tax rate on the very rich is
the lowest it has been in more than 80 years. Under President Dwight
Eisenhower ... it was 91 percent. Now it's 36 percent. We're losing our
democracy to a different system. It's called plutocracy.
Note: Whether you are on the left or right of the political spectrum,
this incisive article by former US Sect. of Labor Robert Reich is well
worth reading in its entirety. For more in income inequality.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best,
Nancy

>>> David Boyd 06/07/12 11:25 AM >>>

I have absolutely no big axe to be a-sharpening, Nancy, but was merely
voicing in I hope a neutral way a lot of accumulated experience - not
admittedly from 'the coal face', from within any university, but based
on a great lot of professional interaction with the staff of such
institutions, and comparing with how staff in other, non-academic
workplaces typically operate. I have no direct evidence: it was a kind
of professional opinion, but it's not a prejudiced one, either.

And, in the UK at least, universities are just the tip of the iceberg:
almost exactly the same comments are applicable to most
Government-funded educational establishments, eg, schools - contain many
very good teachers, but are abominably and inefficiently managed.