On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:06:08 -0700, Peter Montgomery
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Has any Eliot scholar done any work on the eternal footman
>and why Eliot would have used the image. On the surface, of course,
>it just means the guy is always there, but the sub currents are tremendous
>and even absurd. A great character for an absurd play.

"Always there": One reason why the Footman could be Time.  I suppose Death
can be visualized as always being around too but only noticed now and then
(pre-24 hour news).

"sub current": I see the jacket that the footman finally holds up as a
shroud.  Maybe the footman helps the attendent lord into a hearse afterwards.

>Reminds me of the chess game with the knight in that great movie
>The Seventh Seal.

That came to my mind too.  Ever see the parody "De Düva"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dove_%281968_film%29
Looks as if copies have been put on youTube.

Regards,
    Rick Parker