Mute Swans are established wild breeders in many U.S. states.  They are accepted as "wild" and for listing purposes "countable" in many states (including Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan).

Mute Swans are very aggressive near/on their breeding areas, and have been known to kill a variety of "competing" native waterfowl species, or to chase them from the vicinity.  There are also many substantiated incidents of them attacking humans.

For these reasons, Mute Swans are not considered to be a desirable addition to Missouri wild fauna.  Translated, Mute Swans not held in captivity (escapees and their offspring) are shot to keep the population from becoming established in Missouri.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO