From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cornelius Alwood
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SLAS Field Trip to SNR Report

Hello Birders,

The annual St. Louis Audubon Society's trip to the Shaw Nature Reserve in Franklin County had twenty-one participants and fifty-seven species of birds. Highlights included seven Summer Tanagers singing or calling or just perched on open branches giving all scope views (thanks to Bernie Favaza and Mike Grant). There were also several Yellow-breasted Chats displaying. In the prairie, not far from the typee, everyone enjoyed scope views of the Henslow's Sparrow, Great Crested and Olive-sided Flycatchers. A Blue Grosbeak was singing from a tree near the sod house. Common Yellowthroats were the warbler of the day, seemingly everywhere. Northern Bobwhites were calling and a few even flushed in the field behind the Bascom House. At least a dozen Kentucky Warblers were vocalizing; however, none allowed a binocular view.  With over eighty bluebird houses, monitored by trained volunteers, SNR proves to be one of the best places in the St. Louis area to observe this species. We ended the day with scope views of a Red-shouldered Hawk juvenile in the nest.

Absent were Scarlet Tanager, Blue-winged, Prothonotary, and Cerulean Warblers.

Although it was an unusually hot day, there were no complaints.

Connie Alwood

St. Louis County

ASM Fall Meeting: September 21-23, 2012 at Camp Clover Point, Lake of the Ozarks State Park, Osage Beach. for details and online registration.