Thanks to 40 birders who showed up after the rain for our walk around Tower Grove Park.  Like Bob Bailey at Forest Park, we found the birding a little slow, especially with warblers at the beginning.  There were numerous thrushes throughout the park and all got great looks of Gray-cheeked and ID comparisons with Swainson's.  We saw or heard 14 warblers, the most numerous being American Redstarts.  Around the bubbler were Ovenbirds, Catbirds, a few Tennessee, Nashville, a Kentucky, Magnolia, and Black-and-White.  In the field east of the garden we got scope looks at the Olive-Sided Flycatcher.  Thanks for carrying your scope, Bernie!  We found a Great-horned Owl being mobbed by Robins and also saw him through the scope.  The next treat was a beautiful Blackburnian Warbler that everyone saw.  Throughout the day we saw numerous Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, both tanagers, and Baltimore Orioles.  A few Magnolias and a Least Flycatcher were found also in the trees around the field.

Chrissy McClaren and Andy Reago showed us the Red-tailed Hawk nest and a parent was feeding one of the juveniles.  Thanks to Andy and Chrissy for assisting in leading our large group.  Around Cypress Circle we found a Lincoln's Sparrow and a possible Cape May along with some Chipping Sparrows, more thrushes, and a Black-and-White.

Pat Lueders, Trip Leader

ASM Spring Meeting in Joplin, April 27-29. Field trips to grasslands, chert glades, savannahs, riparian streams, wetlands, upland oak/hickory forest, and pines in the southwest. Details and Online Registration.