Takes a bit of umph to wrap one's mind around that thought.

Peter
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:44 AM
  Subject: Gerontion: earth's tenant

  Today's Quotation at Dictionary.com

  "Yes; but if not of the earth, for earth's tenant Jerusalem was the omphalos of mortality."
   (Thomas De Quincey, 'Suspiria de Profundies')

  ---

  "Thou hast nor youth nor age

   But as it were an after dinner sleep
   Dreaming of both."

                     "Tenants of the house,
   Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season."

                                                             "Think at last
  We have not reached conclusion, when I
  Stiffen in a rented house."

  ---

  Jules Laforgue: "And thou, Silence, pardon the earth;
  the little madcap hardly knows what she is doing."
  (Lyndall Gordon, 'Eliot's Early Years', p. 35)

  ---

  Poetry has many voices.

  CR