Also, "When a poet's mind is perfectly equipped for its work, it is constantly amalgamating disparate experience; the ordinary man's experience is chaotic, irregular, fragmentary. The latter falls in love, or reads Spinoza, and these two experiences have nothing to do with each other, or with the noise of the typewriter or the smell of cooking; in the mind of the poet these experiences are always forming new wholes." (TS Eliot, 'The Metaphysical Poets')

CR

From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: The Value of Images for a Poet (was Re: OT - Chapel Perilous)
Sent: Tue, May 1, 2012 3:10:58 PM

"The poet’s mind is ... a receptacle for seizing and storing up numberless feelings, phrases, images, which remain there until all the particles which can unite to form a new compound are present together."

WEBSTER was much possessed by death
And saw the skull beneath the skin;
And breastless creatures under ground
Leaned backward with a lipless grin.

Daffodil bulbs instead of balls
Stared from the sockets of the eyes!
He knew that thought clings round dead limbs
Tightening its lusts and luxuries.

Donne, I suppose, was such another
Who found no substitute for sense;
To seize and clutch and penetrate,
Expert beyond experience,

He knew the anguish of the marrow
The ague of the skeleton;
No contact possible to flesh
Allayed the fever of the bone.

-- TS Eliot, 'Whispers of Immortality'

"the more perfect the artist, ... the more perfectly will the mind digest and transmute the passions which are its material"

CR