Seem to recall though (can't remember from where) that Eliot may have been Catholic in faith , but distinctly Anglo-Catholic, in that he didn't acknowledge Papal authority or infallibility; a gift from The Pope from one of those audiences had been a set of rosary beads, which Eliot kept as a curiousity / memento on his mantelpiece, but never deployed.

Another devout AngloCatholic, Sir John Betjeman, referred scornfully to the society of the latter 20th century in the UK as 'The New Paganism'

The roll-call of devout Believers amongst Eliot's intellectually-highpowered circle included such as Charles Williams; Michael Roberts and his wife; George Every; Dorothy Sayers and very many more: Religious (Christian) Faith and high intellect were (and largely still are) by no means mutually-exclusive.

I'm moved to include in this regard an extract from a work from about 50 years ago called 'They Became Christians' about the routes to Faith taken by selected luminaries (not including Eliot, but including another Faber poet, Norman Nicholson:-

.....There is, of course, no convincing route of reasoning in

this parochial Pilgrims Progress of the spirit. Belief rarely

comes in response to reasoning: we believe first and find

reasons later. But, as I look back now, I find that the

enthusiasms and intuitive assumptions which made me turn

away from Christianity in the first place were precisely

those which, in the end, took me back to it. I believe in the

reality and purpose of this world and that is precisely what

seems to me to be implied by the Incarnation, for, in

becoming man, God also became flesh, blood, bones, cells,

molecules, atoms of hydrogen, oxygen, calcium, phos

phorus and so on. To a Christian, surely, such physical

things can never be dismissed as illusory or evil or without

purpose. Then, too, I was brought up in a scientifically-minded

world. I had learned to think in terms of observa

tions, of measurable and verifiable data, and Christianity,

much of the time, uses terms of this kind. Where other

religions and philosophies may speak of the universality of

God, the potentiality of incarnation in all creatures, the

manifestation of the spirit of God in all men, Christianity

stakes everything on the claim that God was born as one

person, on such and such a date and in such and such a

locality. Of course, this may not be true—I am still suffi

ciently scientifically-minded to admit that. And it is not,

in the ordinary use of the word, verifiable. But, at least,

the claim is made in precise references, to physical dimen

sions. Christianity does not begin by turning its back on

the physical world, or turning its nose up at it, or making

nonsense of it. On the contrary, it makes sense of it in a

way in  which science, alone, cannot. A mind like mine—

literal, matter-of-fact, fond of specifications, distrustful of

abstractions—must start from the known world, the com

mon physical experience, from what, in a revealing cliche,

are called 'hard facts.' Christianity begins with what it

asserts to be such a fact—a statement about a certain assem

blage of chemical substances biologically arranged to make

a human being who is God Incarnate. Accept it or reject it.

For me, it was Hobson's Choice, and if I am asked why I

became a Christian, the only true answer is that I don't see

how I could have helped it.