Seem to recall though (can't remember from where) that Eliot may have been
Catholic in faith , but distinctly Anglo-Catholic, in that he didn't
acknowledge Papal authority or infallibility; a gift from The Pope from one
of those audiences had been a set of rosary beads, which Eliot kept as a
curiousity / memento on his mantelpiece, but never deployed.

Another devout AngloCatholic, Sir John Betjeman, referred scornfully to the
society of the latter 20th century in the UK as 'The New Paganism'

The roll-call of devout Believers amongst Eliot's
intellectually-highpowered circle included such as Charles Williams;
Michael Roberts and his wife; George Every; Dorothy Sayers and very many
more: Religious (Christian) Faith and high intellect were (and largely
still are) by no means mutually-exclusive.

I'm moved to include in this regard an extract from a work from about 50
years ago called 'They Became Christians' about the routes to Faith taken
by selected luminaries (not including Eliot, but including another Faber
poet, Norman Nicholson:-

*.....There is, of course, no convincing route of reasoning in*

*this parochial Pilgrims Progress of the spirit. Belief rarely*

*comes in response to reasoning: we believe first and find*

*reasons later. But, as I look back now, I find that the*

*enthusiasms and intuitive assumptions which made me turn*

*away from Christianity in the first place were precisely*

*those which, in the end, took me back to it. I believe in the*

*reality and purpose of this world and that is precisely what*

*seems to me to be implied by the Incarnation, for, in*

*becoming man, God also became flesh, blood, bones, cells,*

*molecules, atoms of hydrogen, oxygen, calcium, phos*

*phorus and so on. To a Christian, surely, such physical*

*things can never be dismissed as illusory or evil or without*

*purpose. Then, too, I was brought up in a scientifically-minded*

*world. I had learned to think in terms of observa*

*tions, of measurable and verifiable data, and Christianity,*

*much of the time, uses terms of this kind. Where other*

*religions and philosophies may speak of the universality of*

*God, the potentiality of incarnation in all creatures, the*

*manifestation of the spirit of God in all men, Christianity*

*stakes everything on the claim that God was born as one*

*person, on such and such a date and in such and such a*

*locality. Of course, this may not be true—I am still suffi*

*ciently scientifically-minded to admit that. And it is not,*

*in the ordinary use of the word, verifiable. But, at least,*

*the claim is made in precise references, to physical dimen*

*sions. Christianity does not begin by turning its back on*

*the physical world, or turning its nose up at it, or making*

*nonsense of it. On the contrary, it makes sense of it in a*

*way in  which science, alone, cannot. A mind like mine—*

*literal, matter-of-fact, fond of specifications, distrustful of*

*abstractions—must start from the known world, the com*

*mon physical experience, from what, in a revealing cliche,*

*are called 'hard facts.' Christianity begins with what it*

*asserts to be such a fact—a statement about a certain assem*

*blage of chemical substances biologically arranged to make*

*a human being who is God Incarnate. Accept it or reject it.*

*For me, it was Hobson's Choice, and if I am asked why I*

*became a Christian, the only true answer is that I don't see*

*how I could have helped it.***