Thanks for the pointer, Peter.  I guess an understanding of what god was for Eliot is part of what I'm looking for.  I'm guessing he knew a lot of the literature of debate between the English Anglicans and the English Roman Catholics, before he made his choice for Anglicanism and some form of its theology.  Where did he weigh in on the 39 Articles, and related theological and political debate, the Trinity, etc.  Some of these questions may be addressed in the scholarly sources offered over the last day; I haven't gotten to them yet.  Thanks, everybody, for the thoughtfulness.  I just read Lytton Strachey's fabulous collection of four short biographies "Eminent Victorians," which wanders through the Anglican-Roman Catholic conflict from various perspectives.  I'm thinking Eliot probably had opinions on those people, and on their striking belief systems.

j.