To be clear: I was in no way dismissing the question in any closed-minded way; if I misinterpreted its approach, then that's my fault !

On 29 May 2012 19:24, John Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
John,

Your query assumes nothing (implicitly or otherwise) other than that you're interested in thinking more about Eliot's faith (or, as some might say, "struggle with faith"). You're right to remark that Pound's early reactions to Eliot's Catholicism were hardly positive and a host of critics have since responded rather dismissively to it (William Skaff, Adam Kirsch, and the Catholic writer Joseph Bottum to name a few). Your question is a serious one, which should not be dismissed so easily, and certainly not with closed-mindedness.

There's a substantial body of scholarship on Eliot and religion. You might begin with a few critical biographies, which deal with the subject rather aptly and accessibly: Denis Donoghue's Words Alone (2000), Helen Gardner's The Art of T. S. Eliot (1949), or Russell Kirk's Eliot and His Age (revised edition 2008), all of which are still relevant. More recently, Barry Spurr  published a monograph on Eliot's Anglo-Catholicism, Anglo-Catholic in Religion: T. S. Eliot and Christianity, a condensed version of which appeared in T. S. Eliot in Context, edited by Jason Harding. Later this year, the journal Religion and Literature will publish a special issue on Eliot's religion (edited by Craig Woelfel and Dominic Manganiello) and Benjamin Lockerd is editing a case study on the subject for Farleigh Dickinson University Press.

I hope this list helps. No doubt other modernists would suggest alternative points of departure, but this list should at least give you a place to break in.

Kindest wishes,
John