I think partially tried to address this question, Ken, in my last response,
but I'm sure that the German cultural affinity with good order and
efficiency was a big factor too. More excitable societies would have been
embarking on witch-hunts and retributions, but the East Germans just got on
with it, even though forced to adapt to almost cataclysmic changes.