Thanks, John, for the pointers.  That is very helpful.  Eliot made such a
to-do about his faith, especially in the latter part of his life.  His
arrogance and judgmentalness, however, contradict what some would say are
basic teachings of his faith; so perhaps those behaviors are channeled
through Puritan New England roots.  But where did the god connection come
from, and the mysticism come from?  I can see that the mysticism may have
come from the poets (Dante, Baudelaire), but where did the god connection
come from?  His mother?

Best,

j.