John,

Your query assumes nothing (implicitly or otherwise) other than that you're
interested in thinking more about Eliot's faith (or, as some might say,
"struggle with faith"). You're right to remark that Pound's early reactions
to Eliot's Catholicism were hardly positive and a host of critics have
since responded rather dismissively to it (William Skaff, Adam Kirsch, and
the Catholic writer Joseph Bottum to name a few). Your question is a
serious one, which should not be dismissed so easily, and certainly not
with closed-mindedness.

There's a substantial body of scholarship on Eliot and religion. You might
begin with a few critical biographies, which deal with the subject rather
aptly and accessibly: Denis Donoghue's *Words Alone* (2000), Helen
Gardner's *The Art of T. S. Eliot* (1949), or Russell Kirk's *Eliot and His
Age* (revised edition 2008), all of which are still relevant. More
recently, Barry Spurr  published a monograph on Eliot's
Anglo-Catholicism, *Anglo-Catholic
in Religion: T. S. Eliot and Christianity*, a condensed version of which
appeared in *T. S. Eliot in Context*, edited by Jason Harding. Later this
year, the journal *Religion and Literature* will publish a special issue on
Eliot's religion (edited by Craig Woelfel and Dominic Manganiello) and
Benjamin Lockerd is editing a case study on the subject for Farleigh
Dickinson University Press.

I hope this list helps. No doubt other modernists would suggest alternative
points of departure, but this list should at least give you a place to
break in.

Kindest wishes,
John