I did a bit of birding around Pertle Springs in Warrensburg (Johnson County) today.  There were quite a few warblers around, mostly Yellow-rumped and Nashville, but also 11 other species including Golden-winged and both waterthrushes.  Many breeders are are territory including Scarlet Tanagers, Ovenbird, Kentucky Warbler, and Yellow-throated Vireo.  Barred Owls and robins have already fledged young.

In addition, I had a couple of nice birds over the last two days.  Near Lions Lake in Warrensburg my wife and I heard a Barn Owl call while flying over (we didn't see it), and I got some nice photos of an American Bittern at Perry Memorial Conservation Area in nw Pettis County.

My full list from Pertle Springs, for those who are interested: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10567408

Cheers,

Chris Merkord
Vermillion, SD

ASM Spring Meeting in Joplin, April 27-29. John James Audubon impersonator and key speaker on Cliff Swallows. All are welcome. Details and Online Registration