Matt: I think the Zoo should give this duck it's true name of Ferruginous Pochard. Your designation of "Australian White Eye" is misleading. First this species is wide ranging (So. America, Europe and Asia) The word Australia implies it is only found there.
Also, the white eye is only found on the males where the female has a brown eye. I believe a sophisticated ornithology department like the Zoo should use the proper name for a species and not some "common" reference.
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County