Well I grew up in Australia, and I never had any trouble knowing if a White-eye was a Silvereye (Zosterops) or a Hardhead (Aythya)! If you were talking ducks, you might refer to White-eyes, just like here you might refer to Woodies. That a Woodie is a Duck and not a Sandpiper would always be clear from the context - eg the lack of extreme excitement issuing from the vocal chords!

It's far less confusing than Tree Sparrow is on this side of the pond!

Cheers, Chris.