Well I grew up in Australia, and I never had any trouble knowing if a
White-eye was a Silvereye (Zosterops) or a Hardhead (Aythya)! If you
were talking ducks, you might refer to White-eyes, just like here you
might refer to Woodies. That a Woodie is a Duck and not a Sandpiper
would always be clear from the context - eg the lack of extreme
excitement issuing from the vocal chords!

It's far less confusing than Tree Sparrow is on this side of the pond!

Cheers, Chris.

On 04/24/2012 03:02 PM, Bollin III, John J. wrote:

>   I'm with Dave on this being confusing nomenclature.  To me what
>   makes this name the most deceiving is fact that White-eye at least
>   in Asia or Australia would normally refer to a bird in the family
>   Zosteropidae an example of which might be the Australian Yellow
>   White-eye (/Zosterops luteus/).  I kind of like Hardhead.
>

>   John Bollin

ASM Spring Meeting: April 27-29 in Joplin, MO.
Field trips to grasslands, chert glades, savannahs, riparian
streams, wetlands, upland oak/hickory forest, and pines in
the southwest. Details and online registration at: