Actually, this is a Ferruginous Pochard which is a different species
from the Australian White-eyed Duck (or Hardhead). Hardheads lack the
strong contrast between the dark back and the flanks shown in this bird,
being more brown all over. I'm sure there's more to it, but that seems
an obvious difference!

Cheers, Chris.

On 04/24/2012 07:01 AM, D. Pierce wrote:
> Matt: I think the Zoo should give this duck it's true name of
> Ferruginous Pochard. Your designation of "Australian White Eye" is
> misleading. First this species is wide ranging (So. America, Europe
> and Asia) The word Australia implies it is only found there.
> Also, the white eye is only found on the males where the female has a
> brown eye. I believe a sophisticated ornithology department like the
> Zoo should use the proper name for a species and not some "common"
> reference.
> Dave Pierce
> St. Louis County

ASM Spring Meeting: April 27-29 in Joplin, MO.
Field trips to grasslands, chert glades, savannahs, riparian
streams, wetlands, upland oak/hickory forest, and pines in
the southwest. Details and online registration at: