I did a bit of birding around Pertle Springs in Warrensburg (Johnson
County) today.  There were quite a few warblers around, mostly
Yellow-rumped and Nashville, but also 11 other species including
Golden-winged and both waterthrushes.  Many breeders are are territory
including Scarlet Tanagers, Ovenbird, Kentucky Warbler, and Yellow-throated
Vireo.  Barred Owls and robins have already fledged young.

In addition, I had a couple of nice birds over the last two days.  Near
Lions Lake in Warrensburg my wife and I heard a Barn Owl call while flying
over (we didn't see it), and I got some nice photos of an American Bittern
at Perry Memorial Conservation Area in nw Pettis County.

My full list from Pertle Springs, for those who are interested:

Cheers,

Chris Merkord
Vermillion, SD