I ran down again to check things out at the refuge in Chariton Co. Mo. The water level in Swan Lake pool continues to rise, but levels were down from last week on most of the rest of the area. There were a couple hundred shorebirds, but most were in the borrow ditches and channels, as the moist soil units they were using last week are being drawn down?? I saw single Willets in two places plus a single Am. Golden Plover and a Hudsonian Godwit. in a pool with 50+ LB Dowitchers. Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs were numerous, and walked up 10 Wilson's Snipe. Oh yea, saw some Pectoral Sandpipers, and a few Spotted. Lots of Dabblers continue including several Am. Wigeon. Also saw pair of Lesser Scaup. Many Am. Coots and PB Grebes with much vocalizing. Maybe some will be nesting this year? Several Sora were calling also.I saw several silent Crows, then had one that called continuously as it flew along west side of Swan Lake Pool - Fish Crow - for the second consecutive year on the refuge. On the other hand have not seen any Yellow-crowned Night-Heron yet. did not see any last year so hoping they return again this year? Heard a few Common Yellowthroats, then two Prothonotary Warblers south of the spillway at Silver Lake. I walked down and got good looks at one. Warbling Vireos were singing all over. I saw several Lark Sparrows today on the refuge,  and enjoyed listening to a couple singing..
    I had stopped at Pershing SP on the way down. There were Chipping Sparrows and BG Knatcatchers all over, but only "new" birds were a Northern Waterthrush and a Palm Warbler.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.

ASM Spring Meeting in Joplin, April 27-29. Field trips to grasslands, chert glades, savannahs, riparian streams, wetlands, upland oak/hickory forest, and pines in the southwest. Details and Online Registration.