I ran down again to check things out at the refuge in Chariton Co. Mo. The water
level in Swan Lake pool continues to rise, but levels were down from last week
on most of the rest of the area. There were a couple hundred shorebirds, but
most were in the borrow ditches and channels, as the moist soil units they were
using last week are being drawn down?? I saw single Willets in two places plus a
single Am. Golden Plover and a Hudsonian Godwit. in a pool with 50+ LB
Dowitchers. Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs were numerous, and walked up 10
Wilson's Snipe. Oh yea, saw some Pectoral Sandpipers, and a few Spotted. Lots of
Dabblers continue including several Am. Wigeon. Also saw pair of Lesser Scaup.
Many Am. Coots and PB Grebes with much vocalizing. Maybe some will be nesting
this year? Several Sora were calling also.I saw several silent Crows, then had
one that called continuously as it flew along west side of Swan Lake Pool - Fish
Crow - for the second consecutive year on the refuge. On the other hand have not
seen any Yellow-crowned Night-Heron yet. did not see any last year so hoping
they return again this year? Heard a few Common Yellowthroats, then two
Prothonotary Warblers south of the spillway at Silver Lake. I walked down and
got good looks at one. Warbling Vireos were singing all over. I saw several Lark
Sparrows today on the refuge,  and enjoyed listening to a couple singing..
    I had stopped at Pershing SP on the way down. There were Chipping Sparrows
and BG Knatcatchers all over, but only "new" birds were a Northern Waterthrush
and a Palm Warbler.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.