I guess it is Godwit time! I counted 22 Hudsonian Godwits this afternoon at the Thompson River Wetland NW of town. They were not there when I walked in, but heard them coming, then watched them drop in as I was walking back. This has been a good location for Godwits the last few years. There was also 50+ Greater Yellowlegs on the same narrow spit the HUGO were on. I also saw 2 Pelicans, several hundred each Dabbling Ducks, and Am. Coots. The Ducks included a pair of Am. Wigeon, and a female Hooded Merganser. A female Northern Harrier was flying over the dryer Eastern part of the area. Several Savannah Sparrows were along the edges.
  I hiked to the River to check on the new Eagle nest I found last Winter. I watched one adult Eagle flying away from the nest tree, and then watched the other one feeding at least one chick in the nest. Hope they make it through the storms that are in the forecast.
  Saw one Great Egret in the pool on south side of hwy 190 on the way home.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe

ASM Spring Meeting in Joplin, April 27-29. John James Audubon impersonator and key speaker on Cliff Swallows. All are welcome. Details and Online Registration