I claim absolutely no expertise on this, and offer no opinion, only a reference to past discussion.

There was a sapsucker, I believe in Lawrence, KS, some years ago, that was thought to be a Red-naped because of physical features.  The bird was collected (ornithology-speak for "shot") and determined to be an old female Yellow-bellied.  If I recall the subsequent discussion correctly, further research revealed that as female yellow-bellies age, they assume characteristics similar to Red-Naped.

I'd certainly welcome some clarification here, perhaps from the Missouri or Kansas rare bird committees?  It would be instructive to us all to learn how the bird in Bill's photos is similar/dissimilar to the one in Kansas.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO