Greetings! Thanks to the wonderful hard working staff at Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, the Auto Tour will be open this weekend. Hooray!

Swamp Candle Birders Field Trip Announcement:

When:
This Saturday, March 31, 2012, 9:00 a.m. to Noon - Rain or shine!

Where:
Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, Puxico, MO. Meet at the East entrance near the maintenance buildings immediately North of Main Entrance.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/mingo/map.html

Who:
All are welcome to join the fun - general public; Swamp Candle members; ASM members; old through young; green through gray; and fledgling through grizzled birders.

What to Bring:
Dress appropriately for the weather.
Binoculars if you have them (I will bring two extra pair to loan)
If you have them, Family Radio (walkie-talkie) while caravanning - set Channel to 11, Security Code set to 33.
Sack lunch/picnic foods & drink for you/your family and/or to share.
Sanitary wipes
Optional items:
Insect repellent - Mosquitoes have not been a problem this past week, but . . .
Camera

What to Expect:
We will meet at the maintenance buildings, and carpool/caravan from there. We will drive West through the southern end of the refuge and then proceed to drive the Auto Tour where we'll stop as a few locations to admire the area, look/listen for birds, wildflowers, mushrooms, etc. We will make our way to Monopoly Marsh overlook where Bald Eagles are still expected to be seen as well as other birds from this vantage point. Then we will proceed down the Auto Tour through Flatbanks area and stop one last time at the boardwalk parking lot where time permitting we may walk a portion of the boardwalk looking for migrating warblers and vireos as well as viewing resident birds.

Only Two Rules:
1. Have fun!
2. Everyone is allowed to make mistakes . . . (including the leader . . . especially the leader)! This is a safe zone!

Privies:
There is a Port-O-let at the maintenance buildings parking lot as well as pit toilets located near Monopoly Marsh overlook (May Pond) and at Flatbanks turnaround.

Puxico Area Restaurants:
(I receive no gratuities from below establishments):
Mel's Diner located downtown Puxico - (573) 222-6118
Indian Hills Winery, 9625 County Road 250 - (573) 222-3709

Please let me know if I've omitted something or if some information is incorrect. Thank you.

Hope to see you there!!!

Bird On!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.