From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy J. Hoffman
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: WashU Bird Strikes

The best way to prevent bird strikes on new buildings is to design them to prevent it. Once they're built, the options are limited and visually bulky. Even when you consider putting a fine mesh or a see-through advertisement on a window, building owners are likely to balk. I know that's the case with my office building, one wall of which is entirely glass. When you run into owners or managers who don't care about conservation, you're pretty much stuck. Even at a place like WashU, where you might be able to find more sympathetic listeners, what can you do when an entire building's exterior is reflective? I wish more architects would push eco-friendly options (to address bird strikes as well as other issues), but unfortunately, it's just not always a priority.

I will offer this: We've been in this office with the big window-wall for nearly three years now, and the number of bird strikes has decreased. Perhaps the birds learn and pass the knowledge on to their young?

Amy J. Hoffman

Jefferson City

Cole County

Food helps those who help themselves.