Check out this website.  Something could be done to stop the strikes from happening.  There are some new products that would work if people would use them.  I was at a restaurant the other day and they had a giant beer advertisement on the outside windows, Quincy McGoos in Springfield.  Once inside, when you looked out the same window, you could not even tell that there was an advertisement on the other side.  Amazing.  The company below makes see-through graphics.

Clear Focus See-Through Window Graphics

www.clearfocus.com/

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Solomon
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: WashU Bird Strikes

Hi everyone

Some of you may be familiar with the new building at the WashU medical campus that was completed a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, I have anecdotally noticed that this building seems to be causing a surprisingly large number of fatal bird strikes. In addition to the resident sparrows and pigeons, I've seen multiple species of warblers and ducks that have flown into the windows. Sadly, this week one of the Peregrine Falcons, chasing something, slammed into a window so hard that it shattered the glass. I don't know for sure, but was told that the falcon didn't survive and by the look of the glass, I'd be surprised if it did. The building's exterior is almost exclusively large reflective glass, which I might guess is the problem. I know there are solutions to preventing bird strikes in your home, but a solution for a large university building seems more difficult. If anyone has any knowledge of instances where large buildings like this have been "bird-strike-proofed" I would be interested to hear it so that I might be able to pass it on to someone involved in facilities management. Thank you!

Ben
St. Louis