From www.birds.cornell.edu/bfl/breedchron.pdf I found that spring arrival was from early April - early June, with a statement "you should use earlier dates in southern parts of the breeding range".

From "Missouri Breeding Bird Atlas, 1986- 1992", page 164, I found that there were eleven occurrences of "nests with eggs or broken egg shells" found between April 26 and June 1. Although there is a note in the "Phenology" section which states that the early date of April 26 may have been erroneous. The arrival dates for this species was not noted.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

--- On Fri, 3/23/12, Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Eastern Wood-Pewee, maybe!
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, March 23, 2012, 9:31 AM

From bird records which I keep, my earliest sighting of Eastern Wood-Pewee is April 12th in the Saint Louis area. Closer to home, my earliest date is April 26th at Wallace State Park. The "Enjoying Missouri's Birds" booklet (put out by the MDC) shows the earliest date in the last week of April.

But, Brenda told me she heard one a couple of days ago over by Corby Pond, Saint Joseph. And this morning I believe that I heard one while out in our back yard.

Has anyone had an Eastern Wood-Pewee in Missouri this year? And what about early date for northwest Missouri?

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

--
Chris Hobbs