I've been really enjoying these posts about sapsucker identification, but the story about the one in Lawrence has raised a question. Before I ask it, I want to make clear that I'm ONLY asking for information, and I'm not making or implying any judgements. What I want to know is was that bird collected just for ID purposes, and if so how often and in what circumstances does that happen? And who does it?

Thanks!
Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County