Two Red-shouldered Hawks have been in the neighborhood for several weeks, quite vocal.  Often when they call, a Barred Owl  joins in  and crows show up and add to the commotion.  An occasional part of their vocalization is new to me--something like a cluck.  I cannot locate a nest.  When do they typically build nests here?  Range maps show northwest Mo outside their range, but as others have noted on the list, it is not uncommon to see them in most parts of Missouri, except the northwest corner.

I went to the species mapping part of the CACHE/SPARKS page, and looked at a map of reports of RSHA in MO.  Except for a couple of outliers along the river, you can define the range of reports to our data base as southeast of a line from Rebels Cove CA in Putnam County to Little Bean Marsh CA in Platte County.  Carroll County is barely inside that line.

June Newman
Carrollton, MO