Hi Amy,
Collecting specimens for scientific purposes dates back centuries.  Identification purposes are seldom the "reason", but it is always necessary to determine identification of every specimen.
Researchers and scientists associated with academic institutions or museums do the collecting, which typically involves a shotgun, patience, and always government permits and oversight.
To your point about 'not judging', collecting birds is a hot button among some birdwatchers.  The reality is that modern collecting is relatively infrequent, and the birds collected provide a wealth of scientific data.

Chris Hobbs
Lenexa, KS

Sent from my iPod