The sapsucker discovered by David Seibel near Lawrence, KS in 2001
generated much discussion regarding its identity.  Initially
identified in the field as a male Red-naped Sapsucker the
identification could not be conclusively determined through
photographs and the Red-naped identification was "thrown into serious
question."

I was able to find links to articles on this bird and other literature
in my library which will make for interesting study.  The end result
of this leads to published works by David Seibel and by Mark Robbins,
David Seibel and Carla Cicero which showed the Lawrence bird, after
collection and biochemical analysis, to be a hybrid, and a female!  At
first Seibel et al considered Yellow-bellied x Red-naped hybrid but
the ultimate title of their publication is "Probable Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker x Red-breasted Sapsucker hybrid from eastern Kansas with
comments on the field identification of adult sapsuckers."  This from
North American Birds, 2005, 59:360-363.

The bird that looked like a male Red-naped in the field was shown to
be a female in the lab and then shown to not have any "Red-naped" in
it at all!

The North American Birds article is on-line at this site:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NAB/v059n02/p00360-p00363.pdf

This link leads to a David Seibel comment on a JCCC site:

http://staff.jccc.edu/dseibel/RBxYBSA.htm

Additionally I found an article in Birding Magazine, Nov / Dec 2006,
pages 42-51:

Mlodinow, S.G., J.H. Barry, and C.D Cox. 2006. Variation in Red-naped
and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.  Birding 38:42-51.

Like others posting to this topic, I am by no means an authority of
any kind on the identification of sapsuckers, but I enjoy searching
through the literature.  Have fun!

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County, KS