Chris: I have studied WBNU nesting behavior in the St. louis area for many
years. They are early nesters and I have observed tree cavity nests
containing eggs in late March and Early April. I have not observed young in
a nest this early. I have noticed adults carrying nest material out here in
the woods where I live during the last few days, however.
This species uses alot of wood chips and bark chips as a foundation for
their nests. They usually spend alot of time in early spring filling the
bottom of a tree cavity with these chips. I wonder if this is what you
observed instead of food for young?. Maybe the object you thought was a
fecal sac was an unwanted item from the cavity that a bird was cleaning
out? After the wood chip portion of their nest building is complete, then
they bring in hair, wool and softer materials for the nest. Watch for this
activity to begin.
These have been my observations. This has been a crazy warm winter and many
things are occuring sooner than usual.
Good luck,
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
D. Pierce
Senior Dogs 4 Seniors

 “To the world you are just one person; to a rescued pet you are the
WORLD.”