CFP: “Terminal: Examining Master’s Degrees”
2013 Modern Language Association Convention
Boston, January 3-6, 2013

The MLA's CSGSP (Committee on the Status of Graduate Students in the Profession) is organizing a roundtable on the value of and expectations for the MA in English, Comparative Literature, and Foreign Languages as a teaching degree in higher education. In response to the 2011 MLA-ADE report on the Master’s Degree in English (http://www.mla.org/rethinking_degree<http://www.mla.org/rethinking_degree.>), we seek a variety of perspectives on the terminal master’s degree.  Our roundtable will consider questions such as:

What is the value of the MA in English, Comparative Literature, and the Foreign Languages as a terminal degree?
What types of coursework and training are most relevant for MA students?
What academic and career expectations do students have?
How can a graduate program balance the needs of students with different academic and career goals?

We invite current graduate students in terminal MA programs, recent graduates of such programs who are teaching, and faculty in or administrators of MA programs to participate. Panelists will be asked to present prepared comments of five to seven minutes prior to informal discussion.

Please send a CV and 250-word abstract by 15 March 2012 to Giovanna Montenegro ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Shane Peterson ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Giovanna Montenegro
Comparative Literature PhD Candidate
Fulbright Fellow 2011-2012
University of California